Tuesday 10 April 2018

On the creation of Woman


Ah, it's fun to do some original digging around. I've been on a 'crusade' to shift the perception that Eve was created from the rib of Adam for some time. It's not an accurate reading of the Hebrew, and it does create a strong sense that 'woman' is a creative afterthought or spare part based on an androcentricity that has, I think, been very powerful - and dangerous, in the world.
I recently got involved in a correspondence in the London Review of Books on the subject, and have finally had the chance to create a sourcesheet of sources - to which I've added a bunch of illuminations and illustrations.
I think it's a really important issue that should get taught and talked about more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...